These star spangled patriotic flameless torches are extemely fun to make and they make an excellent kid’s activity or even a sparkler alternative! They’re simple and easy enough for kids to make, too, with a little help with the cutting. I love projects that use simple and easy-to-find supplies and this craft checks off those boxes. They can be found in most party and dollar stores. Of course, you can always order online as well. Sometimes that’s just easier than getting out and hitting up multiple stores, #amiright?
**Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links meaning if you click and make a purchase, I will receive a commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy for more info**
How cute would these be for a night out at the local fireworks display instead of sparklers? Super cute, I say!
Patriotic Flameless Torches
Gather these supplies:
- Patriotic themed paper cups
- Patriotic themed paper straws
- Stiff red felt
- Patriotic balloon weights, star garland. To prep these, use scissors and wire cutters to snip off 2 to 3 inches pieces.
- Star shaped tea light candles in red, silver, and/or blue. Remove the plastic inserts in the battery door.
Putting them together:
- Using the craft knife, slice a small X in the bottom of the paper cup.
- Push through the X with a paper straw, carefully and with not too much pressure. Don’t rip the cup.
- Cut a small square out of the red felt and cut an X in it. Hot glue to the bottom of the cup, lining up the holes.
- Cut another small square of red felt and make the same X cut. Push a paper straw through. Cut the top of the straw on either side and push down to flatten. Hot glue the cut and flattened paper straw to the felt.
- Hot glue the straw and felt square to the bottom of the tea light.
- Make tiny holes with the tip of the craft knife around the outer edges and insert the decorations.
It was easier for me to push through the straw and tea light before adding the decorations. Just place the straw into a tall glass to stand while you decorate. Poke the decorations through the tiny holes. There’s no need to glue them if you make the holes small enough!
Tips for making Patriotic Flameless Torches
- Don’t skip the felt square on the bottom of the cup (or, top of the torch, if you will). This is what holds the straw securely onto the cup.
- To turn on and off the tea light, simply push the tea light/straw up, move the switch to “on” and push back down the tea light.
- If you need a sturdier handle, you can certainly use a small diameter wooden dowel in place of the straw. Just paint or cover the dowel with patriotic themed paper!
- Look for any sort of patriotic themed decorations you can add to your paper cups. I found a $1 headband that had a cute puffy star and red, white, and blue ribbon attached. I simply cut off the puffy star and ribbons and used them!
Watch me make these star spangled patriotic flameless torches LIVE on my Desperately Seeking: Creative Inspiration for Creative Living Facebook page.
Don’t forget to pin these for later: